Joseph Carrow 11740 San Pablo Ave, #303 (510) 236-0591 [H] El Cerrito, CA 94530 (510) 684-5677 [C]
World Energy Labs, Mechanical Engineer San Francisco, California [Aug. 2004 – Oct. 2006]
RPI Tau Beta Pi Competition, Independent Entrant Troy, New York [Spring 2003 / Spring 2004]
- Designed for low-to-medium volume manufacture, including sheet metal, milled plastic, and cable assemblies.
Built multiple mechanical models, including proofs of concept and in-house tools.
- Reduced material cost on key product accessory by 75 per cent with redesigned standard component.
Altered LCD mount to reduce assembly time by 35 per cent.
Standardized functional test process of product, reducing test time by 2.5 hours per unit.
Managed design of premium product accessory with third party engineering design firm. Coordinated feedback from Sales and Marketing, and Electrical Engineering departments.
- Troubleshot electronic instrumentation and test equipment.
- Created and maintained manufacture and assembly procedures for scientific test instrument.
- Functioned as liaison between customer technical support and engineering department.
Architecture for Humanity Mobile AIDS Clinic Contest, Team Leader New York, New York [Fall 2002]
- Conceived and fabricated original egg drop vehicle under time and material constraint regulations. Placed first among approximately 50 engineering students in 2003.
- Constructed new egg drop vehicle judged by weight, flight time, payload, and accuracy of touchdown. Placed first in 2004.
- Designed alternative to mobile AIDS clinic; presented plan in visual and written format.
- Received honorable mention and display in Architecture for Humanity exhibit among a collection of 600 entries representing professional architects and industrial designers from 60 countries.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Troy, New York [Aug. 2000 – May 2004]
- Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering & Science, Technology, and Society Studies
- Senior capstone project: “Professional tools for amateurs.” Designed low budget bullet-time camera system and an acoustically augmented bass drum.
- Phi Sigma Kappa, Gamma Tetarton Chapter, 2001. Positions held: Secretary, Scholarship Chair.
Hobbies and Interests
- Certified Solidworks Professional, experience in sheet metal, design for molding, creation of assembly and detail drawings; version control in Microsoft Visual Source Safe and CVS.
- Electronic instrumentation with knowledge of battery systems and analog electronics.
- Prototyping and analysis in Labview, Matlab, and C.
- Digital photography and imaging in Adobe Photoshop, rendering and animation in Cinema 4D.
- Microsoft Office Suite including advanced use of Excel.
- Acoustics and vibration
- Drums and percussion
- Tools for human ability
Download a PDF